Waste & Resource Recovery Officer
Full Time Fixed Term Position until July 2021
Salary $82,017 - $89,313 + 9.5% Super + RDO + contributory commuter use of a motor vehicle
About Melton City Council
The City of Melton is a place where everyone belongs, and we want you to enjoy the benefits that best work for you and your stage of life. We offer generous leave and flexibility that best suits your lifestyle and countless opportunities for professional and personal development. You'll be able to work close to home and have new cafes and shops opening every day amongst the heritage buildings and open green spaces of one of Melbourne's fastest growing municipalities.
Reporting to the Acting Coordinator Waste, Graffiti, Cleaning; Council is seeking an experienced candidate to lead and manage the day to day operations of Councils transfer station and street sweeping services.
As part of Councils Operations team, the role will manage contractual obligations on behalf of the organisation whilst delivering services in accordance with industry best practice, state legislation and the Environment Protection Act Principles.
During the 12 month placement the successful candidate will have the opportunity to shape the outcomes of the Stage 2 Upgrade Works. Design will commence in June 2020 and construction for the $7.7m project will commence in early 2021.
As well as the day to day management of services, the role will be required to;
- Administer contracts to ensure compliance with contractual obligations.
- Monitor, measure and improve performance in line with agreed KPIs and contract management plans.
- Participate in project working group meetings that will inform the Stage 2 design and update works.
- Coordinate transfer station infrastructure maintenance, also minor improvements in partnership with the transfer station operator and other operations departments.
- Prepare reports and administer funding obligations as per Councils commitments for Stage 1 and Stage 2 upgrade works.
- Assist the coordinator in managing regional landfill contracts by attending quarterly meetings, tracking performance and processing payments on behalf of the team.
To be successful in this role you will have the following:
The ideal candidate must have experience in asset management and transfer station operations. Project and/or contract management experience is desirable, however strong communication skills and the ability to negotiate contractual outcomes are a must.
In addition to the above, the candidate should have;
- An understanding of the underlying principles of waste avoidance and resource recovery.
- An understanding of the Environment Protection Act 1970 and Waste Management Policies.
- Knowledge of local government budgeting procedures and financial management, and
- A high standard of written and oral communication.
Culture and Values
Our vision for our community is to be: "a thriving community where everyone belongs" and that means there's a place here for you too. Council has a diverse and vibrant team serving our diverse and vibrant community and we'd love to have you join us to help shape a city for the future. Our values are:
- Continuous Improvement
There are a number of great reasons why our people love working at Melton City Council:
- 19 Day Month
- Flexible Working Hours
- Extensive Career Development & Leadership Programs
- 16 weeks Paid Parental Leave
- 3 weeks Paid Secondary Carer Leave
- Family Room available including Breastfeeding Facilities (Breastfeeding Friendly Workplace accredited)
- Wellbeing initiatives
- Social Club Activities
- Subsidised Uniforms
To read more about our benefits visit https://meltoncity.recruitmenthub.com.au/Staff-Benefits/
How to apply
For further information about the position, please contact Donna Schembri, Coordinator Waste, Graffiti and Cleaning Operations, on 0407 924 501.
Applications close 5.00pm Friday 5 June 2020.
To be eligible for employment at Melton City Council you must be an Australian citizen, permanent resident of Australia or be legally entitled to work in Australia.
At Melton City Council we care for our people, we're committed to the professional growth of our employees and support balance and flexibility. If you want to work with talented, passionate people and build a thriving and vibrant community, we encourage you to apply. We strongly encourage job applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, people with disabilities, LGBTIQ and people from culturally diverse backgrounds.