Development Contributions Accountant
Full Time Permanent Position
Salary Range $84,067 to $91,546 pa + 9.5% Super + RDO
About Melton City Council
The City of Melton is a place where everyone belongs. Our community is vibrant and diverse and one of the fastest developing in Australia. Our organisation strives to provide our community with state of the art, excellent amenity, health and wellbeing and to support our community to be a lifelong learning city. We invest in innovation and our people's professional and personal development. We offer generous leave and flexibility that best suits your lifestyle and a collaborative and inclusive culture. You'll be able to work close to home and have new cafes and shops opening every day amongst the heritage buildings and open green spaces of one of Melbourne's fastest growing municipalities.
An exciting opportunity has come about with our Finance team for a Development Contributions Accountant. The position provides financial advice and accounting support to Council's Planning Services, Capital Projects, Engineering Services and Finance Departments in regards to the administration and implementation of development contributions and asset management.
- Developing financial modelling that forecasts development contributions required to meet Council's long-term liabilities in providing infrastructure.
- The administration, preparation, management and review of the financial aspect of Council's Development Contribution Plans including invoicing, receipting, reconciling and allocation of contributions.
- Co-ordinating the delivery of infrastructure as identified in the Development Contribution Plans.
- Co-ordinating the appropriate indexing of infrastructure items and revaluation of land required to accommodate that infrastructure.
- Liaising with developers in regards to their development contributions and public open space obligations, timing of payments, offsetting against works in kind, scope of works etc.
- Reconciliation and capitalisation of Council assets.
- Preparing reports to account for asset balances.
- Reconciliation between Asset Management and Enterprise Financial systems.
To be successful in this role you will have the following:
- Sound experience in project accounting and reporting.
- Demonstrated financial modelling skills in excel and developing complex reports.
- Proven ability to use Microsoft Office suite of products.
- Ability to analyse financial information.
- Proven ability to effectively plan, organise and manage your own time to achieve targets within a set timetable, despite conflicting pressures.
- Ability to initiate and recommend improvements to existing procedures/techniques.
- A ‘customer service' oriented approach is required in relation to internal service delivery.
- Well developed oral and written communication skills to present information at meetings when required.
- Well developed skills in preparation and presenting project accounting reports in an easily understandable manner using applications.
- Ability to confidently deal with internal and external stakeholders on matters relating to development contributions and asset management.
- A Tertiary qualification in accounting or related discipline. CPA qualified or working towards attaining CPA status would be desirable.
- Experience in working with development contributions, asset management and/or the finance area of local government would be desirable.
Culture and Values
Our vision for our community is to be: "a thriving community where everyone belongs" and that means there's a place here for you too. Our organisational values represent us as an established growth Council and the values are reflected in everything we do; our decision-making, our actions and our service provision to the community. Council has a diverse and vibrant organisation and we'd love to have you join us to help shape a city for the future.
We are Vibrant Melton. Our values are:
There are a number of great reasons why our people love working at Melton City Council:
- 19 Day Month
- Flexible Working Hours
- Extensive Career Development & Leadership Programs
- 16 weeks Paid Parental Leave
- 3 weeks Paid Secondary Carer Leave
- Family Room available including Breastfeeding Facilities (Breastfeeding Friendly Workplace accredited)
- Wellbeing initiatives
- Social Club Activities
- Subsidised Uniforms
To read more about our benefits visit https://meltoncity.recruitmenthub.com.au/Staff-Benefits/
How to apply
For further information about the position, please contact Sam Rumoro, Manager Finance on 9747 7237.
Applications close 5.00pm Friday 25 September 2020
To be eligible for employment at Melton City Council you must be an Australian citizen, permanent resident of Australia or be legally entitled to work in Australia.
At Melton City Council we care for our people, we're committed to the professional growth of our employees and support balance and flexibility. If you want to work with talented, passionate people and build a thriving and vibrant community, we encourage you to apply. We strongly encourage job applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, people with disabilities, LGBTIQ and people from culturally diverse backgrounds.